Monday, April 14, 2008

Improv Thunderdome Season One Championship Match!

First of all, congratulations to Charley Belle, Clay Morgan, Patrick Lindhorst & Rob Grabowski of Loaded Dice, Improv Thunderdome's inaugural champs. That's them up there.  Look at how happy they are!  It is very out of character for Rob to give anyone the finger, but hey, they're the champs now. They can do whatever they want.

Also, a hugh thanks to everyone involved in this.  All the performers, all the volunteers, and especially all the audience.  These past four months have been crazy awesome.  Thanks.

The night was crazy on many levels.  He had 150 reservations, that all showed. A first.  We had somewhere around 20 people on the waiting list, that had to be turned away.  Another first.  Turning people away is actually bittersweet.  I hate doing it, but then again, sometimes that just has to happen, right?  I guess.  I've never had to do it before, but I have always kind of wanted to.  

I'm not going to talk much about the show because it's late.  I'll say this:  It happened.  It was awesome.  Now it's over.  I'm happy it's over.  These past four months have been a lot of fun and very exciting, but I'm tired.  I don't want to think about it anymore.  My brain can't take it.  I am going to try and give my self until May 1st to not even start thinking about season two, which could possibly be even better than season one.  "NOT POSSIBLE", you say.  I say, "VERY!" Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with everything.  But sometimes my mind doesn't allow me to get very excited about things I am involved with for very long.  I have a hard time balancing the good with the bad.  My sister would say, "That's the Libra in you."  

Anyway, I am mainly happy for all of the performers involved.  Each team, whether the won or lost, got to perform to sold out crowds that were 2/3 not there to see them.  There was a small moment during the first ten minutes of the third team's set that I actually felt a bit of excitement for what Thunderdome could be for the improv community.  People in the audience may have only voted for one team, but the other teams and it's performers will be in the back of their minds for quite some time after the show.  

There is something in the air.  Kansas City improv is a force to reckon with.

Season two is coming!  Beginning in June!  Look out!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

BTW, Mr. Brustad, if I ever again catch you apologizing like you did on the forums today, I will paddle your hiney.

Clay said...

Yeah, what was that BS about?
You produced a great show. You worked hard, and it paid off. This felt like a national tourney, four months in the making.

LONG LIVE THUNDERDOME!