Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tool Time!

Who has two thumbs and fixed a toilet today?  This guy!

I first noticed small puddle around the washing machine in the basement, which is directly below the bathroom, about a month ago.  At first I just thought it was coming from the sometimes-leaky washer.  Then the smell came.  A smell that could only come from one room in the house.  So after a bit of detective work (Collin flushing the toilet while I stood near the washer) and low and behold, it's the Porcelain God. 

My first concern was that it was the piping.  In the basement you can see the main pipe coming from the Thinking Chair.  It was not the main source of the source of the leak.  It didn't leak IN the bathroom at all, which I think was a lucky break.  The only other thing we could think of was that there HAD to be some kind of cap, ring, or something that connected the toilet to the pipe.  Perhaps it was old or cracked.  

So today, I figured it out.

I took apart the toilet.  Reviewed it.  Went to Lowe's.    

Got one of these,

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
And one of these,

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And became this guy,

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The leak?  Oh, it's gone.  I fixed it.  It was hard work.  It took a lot of time.  I am sore because of it.  But I didn't have to call a plumber and it only set us back $18.00. 

For a storybook ending, the bathroom will probably explode tonight while we're sleeping.

2 comments:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

So Collin was Al to your Tim Taylor? Did he foil one of your misguided attempts?

Jared Brustad said...

No, but I did feel bad for him. He really needed to poop.