Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hitting the Schmooze Button

Tomorrow the Trip Fives are helping sponsor a local event connected with the KC Downtowners.  It should be fun, this will be my first trip inside the new Power & Light District.  The only thing I am not looking forward to is the talking to people.  I'm not a schmoozer. 

I've never been to anything like this so I am not really sure how things are going to go down.  I believe at some point, because we are a sponsor, the Trip Fives will be mentioned over a crowd of like 400 people.  Then we, the Fives, will be inter-mingling with our fellow guests.

I like talking about improv to other improvisers.  I even like talking about improv to my wife, it helps put her to sleep.  But talking about it to other people is not really my thing.  To me, talking about improv to a stranger is like talking about myself, which is another thing I don't like doing.  hell, my neighbors don't even know I'm a performer, and I talk to them every day.

Still, I now see the importance of the whole thing, so tomorrow I will put on my big boy pants and get my schmooze on.

It helps that there will be free beer.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm right there with ya. We can pair up...and look like we're having such an uproariously good time that hey, who WOULDN'T want to talk to us?

Right?

Sigh.

Julie said...

Reminds me of a rhyme I learned about drinking.

Beer before schmooze, you can't lose.

Schmooze before beer...(insert punchline here).

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Do yourself the biggest favor you can and get Dennis DuPont there by any means necessary. The man oozes schmooze. You can thank me later.