Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Movies I Have Recently Seen.

Time to get the image of that last post out of my head, Now.

...

Okay, fine. Now.

...

Done.

Lisa and I used to frequent the cinema a lot B.C. (Before Collin). We were quite the Movie Watchers. We still are though, just not as much as we'd like. But thanks to Movies On Demand, we're able to catch up on some summer blockbusters and highly recommended indie films that we never made it out to see. We did however go see the Indiana Jones film in theatre. Though I liked it, I am not going to say anything about it other than, going into it, my expectations were very low. Therefore, I was very entertained by it.

Here are two that we recently purchased off the television:

Gone Baby Gone.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I only knew a few minor details about this movie before we watched it. I knew that Ben Affleck directed it, and I knew that Amy Ryan was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the last Oscars. I also knew that Ben's little brother, Casey, starred in it, but that alone wouldn't make me want to watch it.

I was very impressed. The movie is about a Boston private detective that gets hired to investigate a local missing childrens case by the aunt of the victim. The movie starts off kinda slow, but really starts to pick up. Casey Affleck is really good. His character has the same Bostonian accent and attitude that made Good Will Hunting so great (Afterwards I found out the Ben Affleck also wrote this movie, just like GWH). This movie also gets very disturbing. Not in a Se7en kinda way, but disturbing in the sense that it enters the world of child abduction and the perps that inhabit that world. A few disgusting characters and uncomfortable situations, but those sorta things can be what makes some movies so entertaining.

Throw in worthy performances by Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman, and you've got yourself a good movie. I highly recommend it. I'm still trying to figure out it the ending was happy or not.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I really wanted to like this movie. I really did. But it just wasn't that good. The music was good, and I can enjoy a good musical. But something about this movie just didn't do it for me. It wasn't the blood, I like blood in movies. It wasn't the acting, I thought everyone did a good job. It wasn't the set, the costumes, the lighting, the time period, the pies, or anything of that. It just wasn't good. Lisa and I both agree that perhaps this particular story doesn't translate well to the screen. I can very well picture that a live stage performance of Todd would be incredible. But this, like the bodies to the basement, just fell flat.

I would also like to say that I never thought I would see Timothy Spall play a character slimier than Peter "Wormtail" Pettigrew. His portrayal of Beadle was pretty slimy.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I liked Indiana Jones. I appreciated that they aged his character instead of pretending he was still a young Indy. I saw this in the theater rented out for a private birthday party for a bunch of 8 year olds. That's the ONLY way to see it.

Side note, Justin's class went on a field trip yesterday to the Essex steam train, which is featured in the movie. The entire film was shot in Connecticut. Didja know that?

Julie said...

I stand corrected. It was only partly filmed in CT. Mis-informed.