Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lawn Jockey

Now that Collin is attending his summer enrichment program, I have got to program myself to enrich my summer.

(I know, I'm not too proud of that first sentence either)

I am going to tackle the lawn. Thanks to the gi-normous oak tree in our front yard, we've got little to no grass there. The tree is drinking the grass's milkshake. It is so ugly to look at and absolutely no fun to mow. So yesterday we went to Lowe's and bought fertilizer and seeds. Today I raked the area, broke up the soil, planted and watered.

Now..... we wait.

This is going to be extremely hard for me because I am a very impatient person. If I am doing something, I need results fast. If I do not get results fast, I go a little crazy.

If there isn't grass growing by tomorrow, I'm going to set the lawn on fire.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

We have the same problem with our neighbor's massive oak tree. Our driveway makes sure that her tree doesn't suck all the water out of our grass, and we thought it was just too shady to grow properly. After some consideration, we decided that the acorns are to blame. They drop in the fall and then sit there forever, ruining the pH balance of the soil. Come spring, our lawn needs some major Rogaine. Re-seeding it last spring helped it come back this year, as did fall raking, lots of rain and an invasion of hungry squirrels. So yeah, watch out for the acorns.

Jared Brustad said...

OOOOOOOOOOHHH!!! Those acorns!!!!!!

On the plus side, with Collin going to school Monday through Friday, I can give this my full attention. I've already been out today, raking the seeds deeper into the soil and watering everything. I'll be watering again around dinner time.

What's frustrating is not only the big dirt patches, but that from my point of view we look like the only yard in the neighborhood with this problem. I'm sure we're not, but I feel that way.