Monday, April 20, 2009

Music I Am Digging At This Very Moment

I so very much like music.  Lately one of my most favorite joys, when being alone in the house, is blasting a cd on our Bose system while doing the dishes.  The cd that has been occupying the player for the past month has been In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.  The album was recorded in '98 and the group disbanded in '99.

Having only found out about this in the past year, a part of me feels cheated for liking the album so much.  Like I wasn't "In on it" back when it was released, so it isn't really fair for me to like it now.  I feel that way with most buzz worthy music that somehow reaches my ears years later.  

Anyway.  This album is probably now one of my all-time favorites.  Here are two of the songs that have solidified my love for it.  The first one is Ghost (track 9) and the second comes directly after it and is untitled.  

Enjoy.


2 comments:

Scot said...

I agree with you in part about sort of wishing you had been 'in on' stuff sooner. Marla and I have just recently been getting into the Go-Betweens even though they've been around for thirty years. We just never really listened to them before, but now that we have we can't believe we missed out on listening to them for all those years.
But at the same time I'm slightly envious of folks who are just discovering things that I've listened to for a while. They get to experience that super exciting burst of initial revelation. We got turned onto Neutral Milk Hotel in general and Aeroplane Over the Sea in specific back in 2000 by a co-worker of Marla's. And it was probably one of our most exciting musical discoveries ever. It sounded different from anything we had ever heard before. Much like you and Lisa have been doing, we played it over and over again. But eventually time moved on and other albums came up and Aeroplane was put into the collection with everything else, still loved, but pulled out only occasionally. I guess what I'm saying is I'm glad I've had all these years to listen to it, but I'm also little envious of folks who are still in the midst of falling in love with it.

Bill said...

This is a GREAT album. Did you know NPR ran a story awhile back about a high school that wrote a musical based on the music of Neutral Milk Hotel and set during Anne Frank's ;ast few days in a concentration camp!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103939612