Monday, August 11, 2008

Hey, He's Gonna Sit By You...

Another one rides the bus.

My friend Lance turned me on to something yesterday that I am going to have to start taking advantage of.  And that something is ... Taking the bus to Royals games.

He called me around 11:00 a.m. to see if I wanted to go to the 1:00 game.  Not wanting to leave Lisa car-less, I said I'd go if he drove. That's when he said we will just take the bus.  We went to Tomfooleries on the plaza around noon.  A "Royals Express" showed up across the street at 12:10.  A round trip ticket cost $6, but the bus driver gives you a $6-off coupon for any Royals ticket, so in a sense, the bus ride was free.  Lance and I both bought the cheapest upperdeck seats at the stadium, which were $9.  So with the coupon our seats cost $3. Nice.  What's nicer than that?  We sat in the lower level on the right field side where nobody bothers to check to see if you are in the right seats or not.  After the seventh inning we moved here...

Throw in a beer and a hotdog, and the whole experience costs less than $20 per person.  Though Lance will tell you not to buy any beer at the stadium.  It's best to either get wasted at Tomfooleries beforehand, or just bring a sixpack and a flask on the bus and sit in the back.  Either way, you can't beat the deal.  The topper for me was that on the way home, some people on the bus said that the last (and first) stop is at 75th & Wornall.  Just up the street from my house.  

Since moving to the Waldo area, Lisa and I always comment on the bus stop that is at 75th & Wornell.  We've known that it will take us to the Plaza, or Crown Center, or even Downtown.  We've just never taken the time or energy to look up the schedules.  It is possible that all that might change soon. 

No comments: