Monday, August 4, 2008

The Hook Brings You Back

Okay, a few of months ago I had blogged about joining the YMCA.  I had been putting off hitting the basketball court because I know how bad of shape I have been in.  Not that getting into shape would help my game.  Far from it. Even when I was 18 and playing on a regular basis, I never played like I was 18. I played more like a 50 year old.  I do the hook shot.  I do the scoops.  I do the sloooooooow fade away jumper.  I can pass.  I even do the occasional 3 pointer.  That's my game.  All that has nothing to do with getting into shape.  The reason I avoided the court was because I knew if I started there, I would never hit anything else.

So now three months after joining, I am ready to ball it up.  I've taken it pretty easy so far, nothing too drastic.  A couple games of 21, one game of 2 on 2, and one game of 1 on 1.  I tell you, playing like a 50 year old is just like riding a bicycle.  I might as well where this jersey whenever I play.


I didn't win any of the games of 21, but I did earn respect from the people I played with.  The game of 2 on 2 was pretty easy.  I believe my team won 12 to 7.  I contributed about 8 of those points.  The game of 1 on 1 was different.  I played against a 14 year old black kid that was twice my size.  He had to be at least 6'3" and weighed in the ballpark of 280 lbs.  Mentally, he was a good ball player. Physically, he was a little slow.  I simply scooped and hooked all around him.  I won 12 to 2.  I think he had to be tired by the couple of games he played before I played him.

So far I have been one of two white boys playing at this gym, which doesn't at all bother me, nor does it seem to bother anyone else. Which is awesome.  I love playing the game of basketball and I love playing with competitive people.  I am very comfortable playing there.  My confidence is up and my goal is for all of the locals to soon start referring to me as Pistol Pete or even Bird, only because they don't seem to care what my real name is.   

My game is better than it ever has been.  I think it's because I have been playing like a 50 year old for so long.  With every year that gets closer to that age, that's another year that I get better.  Never doubt the hook.  Just fear it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure they aren't letting you win because you're the only white guy around and they feel sorry for you?

Actually, I'm sure you still have it. I challenge you to a game of HORSE any day.