Friday, March 7, 2008

Eastern Promises

Lisa and I purchased a movie On Demand the other night. We were both in the mood for something that neither of us knew much about. After scrolling through the screen for a while, we finally decided on Eastern Promises based on the Viggo Mortensen's Best Actor nomination clip they showed at the Oscars.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Viggo Mortensen

Before the Oscars, There Will Be Blood was the only nominated live-action movie either of us had seen this year (we saw Ratatouille in the theaters). After seeing that and only that, there was no doubt in my mind that Daniel Day-Lewis would win Best Actor. In fact, I think he is the sole reason that movie was nominated for Best Picture. Take out his performace, and that movie would have just been okay.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Daniel Day-Lewis

Back to Eastern Promises. Great movie. Viggo plays a Russian limo driver for the Russian mob somewhere in London. His performance was mesmerizing. I think I personally judge how well I like a character by how often I try to talk like him afterwards. Who knows how many times Lisa and I were walking around saying, "Give me the blood of the lord, Eli", after seeing TWBB. But Viggo's thick Russian accent definitely comes in a strong second. In fact, if there was a second place at the Oscars, my bet would have been on Viggo.

This wasn't suppose to be a movie review or anything like that, but if your looking for something to rent in the future, this would be my recommendation. And for the ladies, there's even a ten minute bloody turkish bath fight scene with Viggo's meat and potatoes flinging all over the place. You heard me.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I too, decided to see Eastern Promises based on the Oscars clip. He puts a cigarette out on his tongue! Sold! And now you're telling me he gets naked. I'm making it a Blockbuster night.

I, of course, would see the movie regardless of the nudity. They were out the last time I went to rent a movie, so we settled for his hot cross buns on the stairs in History of Violence.