Sunday, March 30, 2008

What Are The Best And Worst Things Happening In KC Improv?

Okay, so a bunch of Kansas City improvisers with blogs have been challenged with a little experiment.  The topic is the title:  "What are the best and worst things happening in KC improv?"  I wasn't going to participate because I am a true believer in "Who really cares what I have to say?"  But there is at least an hour before the KU/Davidson game tips-off so...

THE BEST:  Experimentation. 

Maybe four to five years ago there were only a handful of troupes here, all presenting pretty much the same thing:  A different interpretation on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"  Which is fine.  I see no problem in that.  It's one of the best ways of comparison to get people to come see you.  Everybody loves the "Whose Line" but what's the point if that's all that everyone is doing?  Some people like a little Kahlua in their coffee.

At some point, my guess would be the last KC improv festival, troupes started branching out and trying new things.  Some performers stepped away from familiar territory and are not only trying for forms, but even trying new venues. Eyes are opening to the limitless power that is improvisation.

THE WORST:  People are too nice. 

Even though the KC improv community is growing, it is still for the most part a small community.  The majority seems, SEEMS to be made of people with less than three years experience. That is a lot, but not enough time for some people to truly take honest criticism without the feeling of it being personal. The last thing anybody wants to do is be completely honest with some performers in fear that they'll crawl under a rock and never perform again.  So we tell those people "Great Job!"  I am not trying to pigeonhole anyone. Experience or lack there of is not the only factor.  There are some people that simply know whether or not a show was a good one or a bad one.  On the other hand, some people don't.  That knowledge isn't something that can be learned right away, but performing more over time does help.

In the end, there is nothing like drinking beers with improvisers after a show and discussing improv, whether or not it was good or bad.

We're all in this for the same reason, except for the ones that are in it for the money.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am TOtally in it for the money. And the hot male groupies.

Jared Brustad said...

Dammit, I forgot about the hot groupies part.

Unknown said...

Yeah. I think those two things are the best part of KC improv.

I'm gonna go change my entry.

improvclown said...

I know some people that are in it for the money

John said...

People do this for money? Crap. I shoulda signed up for that option.

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Hm, you and I have some similarities too Jared. 10 Year Clubbers Unite!

Jared Brustad said...

There is nothing wrong with making money in improv, I just believe that, unless you own a theater (wink, John) the idea of making money shouldn't even be in your top ten list of things needed to produce a show.

10 Year Clubbers ACTIVATE!!!!

Oh, and John, I plan on commenting to your blog, but I have to register first. But I'm lazy, so I'll do it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

You had me until the last sentence, at that point you completely blew it.

Unknown said...

What is this 10 year club? Is it like the mile high club?