Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mama's Day!


I'd like to wish a Happy Mother's Day to my lovely wife, Lisa, and my lovely mom, Marsha, and to all the other mothers on this very special day.

Last night Lisa, Collin and myself spent some time at the Spirit of Mission Days' carnival before heading to the Salsa Grill and Mission Bowl for our friend Marla's birthday.  This was Collin's first carnival. Both Lisa and I have fond memories of little carnivals like this one. The fact that it rained off and on just kinda seemed right for the occasion.  We all rode several different rides. Collin and Lisa started things off with the flying elephants, before Collin dared something bigger.  He and I went on the scramble despite my sensitivity towards motion sickness.  After a minute of Collin screaming "Too fast, TOO FAST!", he relaxed and enjoyed the rest of the ride.  The carney let us go around a second time for free with out even asking or noticing the paleness of my face.  Lisa took her turn on the scrambler with Collin after he rode a couple more of the smaller rides.  I could tell by her face that even she did not expect the speed at which those turns were going.  

The night was very special.  We won some prizes, ate some funnel cake, and most importantly, Lisa got to ride the ferris wheel with very very special little boy.

This morning the three of us went to breakfast at Mama's on 39th street.  This was only Lisa's second time there.  We used to go all the time when it was Nichols Lunch.  Anyway, this place is great.  It's even been featured of the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. They've got over 60 omelets on their menu.  I thought I was just going to be getting the standard biscuits & gravy, thinking that there wasn't going to be a single omelet to catch my attention.  I was wrong.  Number 42.  That number will forever be sacred to me as the country fried steak, onions, and gravy omelet.  It was so tasty that I wasn't able to save any gravy for my biscuit on the side.  Lisa got a crab and broccoli scrambler which was tasty as well.  Collin got the chocolate chip pancakes.  Yummy!

To finish off the night, when Lisa gets back from going nursery shopping (the garden kind!) with her mommy, the three of us will head to Union Station to check out an IMAX film about oceans.  But first, I must go search for my stash of dramamine.

3 comments:

Scot said...

Man, it's sounds like it was a great weekend from start to finish! Thank you so much for spending some of it with us. We had a pretty awesome weekend as well, and Saturday night was definitely one of the highlights.
Give Lisa a belated Mothers' Day squeeze on our behalf.

Julie said...

Second attempt at a comment. This website doesn't like me. I believe I was trying to say:

What a great picture of Lisa and Collin! And the omelet. Sounds like a good day was had by all. Collin is a cool cucumber. He might be ready for some Worlds of Fun.

We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful and beautiful time for all of you. I suppose those are the moments that stay with you for a lifetime. Plus, there was funnel cake.