Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Yeah, That's the Ticket.


I was pulled over this morning for expired tags. They expired at the end of March and I have been taking baby steps towards renewing them. The reason: Everything that goes into registering your car in Missouri. I need to get it inspected, but before I could do that I needed to get my tail light fixed. The tail light is now taken care of, but between Lisa's work, Collin's school and only having one car, it's hard to find time to get it all done in one day. Plus, I don't even know where to go to register. My guess is somewhere downtown, but someone else told me that I should do it in Grandview. Anyway, so like I said, I've been taking baby steps. Thanks to the ticket, I will now be taking grown-up steps in order to reduce the fine.

I have gone a year without renewing my tags once. A full year. I had always known that at some point I was going to have to renew them, but once you hit that three month mark you start asking yourself, "I wonder how much longer I can go?" It ended up being a little over a year. I was actually pulled over twice in the same day. Once on my way to work and once on my way home from work. I should my first ticket to the second cop to prove that I had already been stopped that day. He didn't care. He said something like, "You've gone this long with expired tags that I seriously doubt you intend on taking care of this any time soon." So I smiled, took the second ticket, and got everything straightened out a couple of weeks later.

Oddly enough, It felt good to finally get stopped. I had felt like I had beaten the system for so long. A part of me wanted to say, "It's about time" to the police officer that pulled me over the first time. But I didn't, I may not have been in right state of mind.

Anywho, I think we're going to get the car taken car of next week. The inspection, the registration, the works. If we wait until after May 9th, then President Bush will pay for it all. That will feel good. I think we'll do that.

4 comments:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Here's where you should go to register, but shhhh.... it's a pretty well kept secret. In NKC on Burlington, there is a Petco (cross the Heart of America bridge and just keep heading north and it's on your left) and at the back of it is a DMV. As long as you don't go at lunch time (and even then it isn't all that bad - 20 minutes maybe), you should be in and out quickly.

Caroline said...

I wonder if cops hesitate to pull people over for it because of the high rate of registration sticker theft. Chances are pretty high that the car is actually legal.

I got pulled over the day you posted this for not having a license plate on the front of my car. Jerks!

Anonymous said...

At least you were sober.

Jared Brustad said...

Thanks for the tip, Pete!

Sorry to hear that, Caroline.
I don't think this particular cop hesitated to do anything. My pates are still Kansas and he got my just as I crossed over State Line out of Missouri.

Umm, Nikki, I was designated driver that morning. Collin was trashed in the back. Not really, but he took getting pulled over really well. When I stopped and said, "Daddy's been stopped by a cop" he said, "You mean, Police Officer."