Friday, December 14, 2007

Who is your favorite Superman?


Mine would have to be Christopher Reeve, simply because i grew up with him as Superman.  The first Superman, George Reeves, was way before my time. Tom Welling is good, but he mainly portrays a young Clark Kent, not quite yet Superman.  The latest Man of Steel, Brandon Routh, is very convincing, but i can not tell if it is only because he looks and acts like Reeve's Superman, especially his portrayal of Clark. Dean Cain shouldn't even be credited.

So in my opinion Christopher Reeve is the best Superman.  I was even hoping he would have made another Superman movie after his equestrian mishap.  

Superman V:  Superman Swallows Kryptonite

It would follow the normal story patterns of every other Superman film. Including the inability to tell the difference between Clark Kent and Superman.

"Gee Clark, it sure is a coincidence that both you and Superman got into the same kind of accident that left you both rendered in a wheelchair."

"It sure is Lois.  It sure is."

All of his powers would be hindered just a little, of course. Transportation by flying is impossible.  Now he just kind of hovers here to there.  The ability to see through walls is gone.  He can now only see to the studs.  And that all powerful super-breathe that could knock down anything, will now simply just mess up your hair a bit.

Yes, it would be a sad movie.  Even the villains would feel sorry for Superman. I can see Lex Luthor wheeling Superman around in the park for an afternoon stroll.  The two of them discussing past memories and even the weather. Perhaps out of the nature of his heart, Lex drops his old friend a little hint.

"My my my Superman, what a beautiful day for a walk in the park. Birds chirping.  Children laughing.  The wind blowing.  Beautiful day indeed.  My men are going to be robbing the 10th street bank at noon on Thursday.  Oh, I do believe I hear the ice cream man."

Only Christopher Reeve could have done this movie justice.  So for now, it goes back on the shelf.

3 comments:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

What have you got against Dean Cain? I would have to say that my rankings for favorite Superman are thus:
Christopher Reeve
Dean Cain
Tom Welling
George Reeves
Brandon Routh

After that, I can't really comment since I rarely heard Bud Collyer's version or watched Kirk Alyn.

Sonic Nurse said...

Dean Cain's head is too round.

Derek said...

If Reeve would have made a post-accident Superman movie, the only logical casting choice for Lex Luthor would have been Stephen Hawking. And I would have been first in line to buy tickets for opening night.

1. Reeve
2. Reeves
3. Welling
4. Anyone who played Superman in High School, Church, or any other similar production
5. Routh
6. Every other male in the world not named Dean Cain and not of Middle Eastern descent
7. Dean Cain
8. Males of Middle Eastern descent

5 People who I would have loved to see play Superman:

1. Christopher Walken
2. William Shatner
3. Adam West
4. Steve Buschemi
5. Rodney Dangerfield